Type your review hereI was out on a recommendation from a coworker and started out by the "electronics" section. The friday before, they wouldn't let me actually examine any of the electronics merchandise and said the "guy in charge" of that section was unavailable, contrary to their literature's claim that they want "informed" buyers. They had a bunch of laptops available, and I was speaking with a man and his 12-year-old about the various pieces. He mentioned an interest in a couple of the laptops, "provided they still work." I informed him and showed him where, visually, parts (hard drive and tray) had been removed from the unit he expressed interest in, at which point a fat guy with a white goatee in a Worstell shirt came over and started verbally berating me in the rudest manner for "talking down the merchandise." I wasn't the only guy he bitched out, either. All of this was during the preview period, not during the sale period. I can absolutely concur on the ridiculous behavior of their auctioneers during ... recommendation from a coworker and started out by the "electronics" section. The friday before, they wouldn't let me actually examine any of the electronics merchandise and said the "guy in charge" of that section was unavailable, contrary to their literature's claim that they want "informed" buyers.

The saturday preview period before auction started, I was speaking with a man and his 12-year-old about the various pieces. He mentioned an interest in a couple of the laptops, "provided they still work." I informed him and showed him where, visually, parts (hard drive and tray) had been removed from the unit he expressed interest in, at which point a fat guy with a white goatee in a Worstell shirt came over and started verbally berating me in the rudest manner for "talking down the merchandise." I wasn't the only guy he bitched out, either. All of this was during the preview period, not during the sale period.

In addition, as the auctions went on it was obvious they were playing favorites. Several times, they ignored guys who still had their cards up bidding and gave a lot to one of their "special" guys with "special" cards hanging from lanyards instead. A number of other times it sure looked like those "special" guys were watching a hand signal when the "spotters" went from gesturing open-handed to thumbs-up. If I had to guess, the "special" guys were in on the scam and playing ringers with the payoff being to win their chosen lots at a low price.

Had an Experience with Worstell Auction?

Comments

Ok Mr.Anonymous,I'm gona help school you on 'auctions'To begin with I regularly attend every Worstell auction anywhere and online,plus about 7 other different ones.I don't spend alot of money and sometimes none,however I do enjoy the atmosphere!I attend for several reasons,Worstell Auction have security cameras EVERYWHERE and also video.The merchandise I'm interested in are computers and office furniture.The computers come from local colleges and the furniture is high end.Preview is on fridays before the auction for a reason.The day of the sale is not for moving and inspecting because everything is set up to sell and no one has the time to get it out and put it back properly,that's all.Now I have a 'special card' on a lanyard and this is because I,among so many other buyers, go to so many other auctions all over and if possible we all try to keep the same numbers,there's nothing 'special' about any of us.Next there is no funny hand signals by anyone of the ringmen,for instance the thumbs down and right behind it a thumbs up is the number '69' and that is for the auctioneer,marker or clerk in case any one of them can't hear over the crowd noise.The Worstell group are very professional and courteous and Mr.Worstells son Tim makes the experience fun!He's so personable and respectful .(he's a ringman)